Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Kin K.

I was missing from this thread for awhile and am now trying to catch up.

I only moved to Texas three years ago. I lived in Indianapolis for almost a decade, which rekindled my love of IndyCar, specifically the 500.
I grew up in West Virginia and watched the 500 most years.
I got into NASCAR around 1995 or so, but my interest started waning in the early 2000s.

I think my dad wanted me to be more into cards and racing as a kid,
but I knew I was going to be a pro baseball player and wasn't interested.
Hindsight is always 20/20!

I've attended one F1 and one NASCAR race (both at IMS). I've attended the Indianapolis 500 three times as a fan and two other times was on the grounds. For two years that I worked for Lids and they were the official retailer of the IndyCar series, I was a part of the buying and merchandising team. Since moving to Texas, I've attended the Firestone 600 1+ times. I went in 2015 and last year was there for the first night that never started. I decided not to go back the next day because I wasn't feeling well and it was about 100 degrees with 500% humidity. Haven't decided yet if I'm going this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I don't think this has been asked yet in this thread, but did any of you grow up going to local racing? I see that Kin is from Texas, but I am not sure where Brian is from? As I mentioned earlier, my parents began taking me to dirt track races in the Northeast when I was just a few months old. All through my teenage years, my 20s and into my 30s, I was going to local races every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

Over a 15-year period, I averaged about 90+ races a year.I don't go to nearly that many races anymore, but local racing is still a big part of my life. I never got into any trouble when I was in my teens because I was always at the races every weekend. I have been to right around 200 tracks in my lifetime, stretching all over the Northeast and a smattering of tracks in the Midwest and Southeast.

Did any of you attend local Modified or Late Model or Sprint Car races? I did not mention some of the other great racing books I have read in recent years because I don't know if there is any interest on the board or if the topic of local short-track racing is outside of this thread's racing interest.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry