Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Guys who haven't been named yet:

Jorge Posada (eventually)
Ivan Rodriguez (probably)
Chipper Jones
Omar Vizquel (eventually)
Roy Halladay (maybe)
Buster Posey (might be the greatest catcher of all time one day)

A word to the wise re: Kershaw / Felix. I'd be very careful. Johan looked like a lock too after winning 2 CYs and 3 ERA titles. Things ended much differently than they started.
Just a few comments here. Pudge Rodriguez had an immense degree of difficulty explaining to Detroit newspaper writers the diet he had followed in losing 28 pounds one off-season while he was with the Tigers (and with the weight went his power). Just coincidentally of course, the weight loss occurred after steroid testing came in. Should that matter be recalled and discussed when he becomes eligible for the ballot, it may well dampen his chances.

Chipper should be a sure-fire, first-ballot electee, unless I'm not aware of some PED taint.

Posey is a fabulous catcher, but will have trouble dislodging Berra, Campanella and Bench for the title of the greatest of all time, especially with the much-discussed shift to first base, and the fact that he never has had quite the HR power of the other three.

As to Kershaw, I'd never put money on pitchers as sure-bet HOF'ers until nearly the final tally is in. What they do best is get hurt and/or lose their effectiveness. Verlander, for example, pitched himself into the HOF in his twenties, and pitched himself back out (thus far) in his thirties. Another reason to be leery of Kershaw is the fact that much of his effectiveness is due to the trick/hitch delivery, and the fact that the ball seems to suddenly appear from behind his head. The latter worked for Jerod Weaver until his fastball dropped to mid-80's at best, and with respect to the former, hitters often get accustomed to freak deliveries. Kershaw has virtually the exact same stuff as Bumgarner: 93-95 mph fastball, good slider and curve. Both are very good pitchers, but IMHO, Kershaw to date has piled up the better stats due to the hitch/halt in his delivery, and the fact that he hides the ball better than the Giants' ace.

Just my two cents worth,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-25-2015 at 06:15 PM.