Thread: W517 colors
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default W517 colors

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Back in the February 1978 issue of The Trader Speaks collector Rex Coile submitted an interesting article on the W517 series. He felt that this set was likely a candy issue and that it may have been connected to a product known as "Champion" or "Champions". Despite some of the interesting theories that Rex had, I still think that this set is right at home in the W category. Here are some things to consider:

1. They were distributed in strips of 3 cards, no full uncut sheet to has ever been found.

2. The printing and paper quality are consistent with most strip cards from the 1920's-1930's era

3. I have yet to encounter an example that is FACTORY CUT on all four sides. Every example both large or mini I have owned, handled, or seen for sale this past year have obviously been hand cut from a strip.

4. They have a solid connection to exhibit cards of the era, which were distributed through machines at carnivals, etc. It's pretty easy to imagine strips of W517's being sold in the same manner.

Unless new evidence appears showing the original distribution method and producer, my vote is that they stay in the W category.