View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Hey Derek. The E121-80 is a set I decided to collect. I've only been at it for a year or so and am by no means an expert. A board member reached out to me and provided me with a bunch of information. Speculation is that there was a grouping of Yankee and Giants cards that were released in limited number during the World Series. The Hoyte is one of those cards. I think the only other HOFers in that rare group are Frank Frisch, Miller Huggins, and Frank (not the more common J. Franklin version) Baker. Also, those cards only exist with the rarer Type 2 and Type 3 backs.

I'm sure the true E121-80 experts (hey Rhett and Kevin) will chime in and provide better info for you.
The information provided by Jason is accurate. The toughest HOFers in the E121 Series of 80 set are the ones that correspond to the late addition New York Yankee and Giants players made exclusively at the end of the production run (before starting the E121 Series of 120 from the following season).

The only HOFers that are part of that group (which will only be found with the rarer Type 2 and Type 3 backs) are as follows...

-Waite Hoyt
-Frankie Frisch
-Miller Huggins
-George Ruth (not Babe)
-Frank Baker (not J. Franklin)

These cards are among the very tough cards from that series and usually command quite a hefty premium, probably more-so in the future as the info becomes more "common knowledge". It used to be very tough to convince people of these rarities before but it is becoming more and more established.

Of those HOFers listed above the toughest of the group is probably the Frank Baker followed closely by Frank Frisch (which is relevant to you HOF Rookie collectors)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562