View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
So we trade study and precision for your gut feeling which you can't support in a clear manner? That's OK for religion, but not for this.
Well, I'm not a religious man, but I dated the minister's daughter. That said, I have noted before and will note again that I have seen hundreds of Paul Waner photos over the last thirty plus years. It is Paul Waner. If you want to contradict that, it is your choice. By the way, one more thing to note is that Paul is pictured as a pitcher in the photo. Just like his father, Ora Lee, Paul was a star amateur pitcher. It was not until he was in the PCL that his manager, Dots Miller, a former Pirate and member of the 1909 World Series Champion Pittsburgh Pirates (gotta get in a prop for the home team) switched him to the outfield. Also, as you are aware from "The Glory of Their Times" that the reasons Waner became a major leaguer is that the scout, who was on his way to scout a player by the name of Flashkamper, went on a bender and ended up sitting down next to a conductor on a train who raved about Paul Waner. It didn't hurt Waner was dating the conductor's daughter at the time of the meeting. Interesting how a star pitcher turned out to be a 3,000 hitter with a lifetime .333 average.