View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
I picked up a 'modern' (1990) Card Collectors Bulletin, published by Chris Benjamin, that advertises reprints of the US Card Collectors Catalog 1939. I've never seen any of these reproduction copies come up - does anyone know how many of the reproductions are knocking around?

And, while we're on the topic, does anyone know how the Burdick/Bray CCB become resurrected in this modern format? Does anyone keep records of the full list of CCBs extending into this more 'modern' era?
I've never seen Benjamin's reproduction of the 1939 USCCC, but I have some of his other spiral-bound publications from that period.

I have most, but not all, issues of Card Collector's Bulletin from the mid-1950s to the early 1980s. (Plus all from 1939-44 and all but a few from 1944-1950.) Unfortunately I don't have my list here with me, but I can look at it Monday. Charles Bray took over the editorship from Jefferson Burdick in mid-1949, on CCB's tenth anniversary, so that Burdick could focus on organizing, cataloguing, and mounting his card collection for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (I posted Burdick's 1947-1949 articles about that process here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240887 .) Starting in the late 1960s, there were fewer and fewer articles in CCB, and it became more and more just an auction listing. From the mid-1970s on, I don't remember seeing any articles in CCB other than brief news items and announcements from Bray. In the early 1980s, the format became more erratic, as did Bray's typing; he sometimes forgot to include the issue number, the date of the issue, and/or the ending date of the auction. The last issue I have is from 1982 or 1983, but I'm not sure if it's the last one that was published before Bray died in 1984. After his death, Chris Benjamin bought the rights to the Card Collector's Bulletin name and historical content, and in 1986 or 1987 he began publishing a new incarnation, which was much more focused on articles and no longer included an auction. I'm not sure how long that incarnation lasted, but I don't think it went past about 1993 or so; I have some but not all of those. I can look next week and see what issues I have.