View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghooper33 View Post
I know it is probably anecdotal, but during my small timeframe of collecting these cards I have been able to pick up 1-2 a week. I am collecting the T205 set with a buddy of mine, and we expect to complete this in a couple of years but I hope this set will keep me busy for the next ten years. I have four friends now who are all in our mid-30s who have began to collect pre-war cards – I wonder how many new collectors it takes to influence the market for a set like the T207’s?

Thanks again for all of the information / comments. Since I am new I am taking in information as if it was coming out of a fire hose. To be honest we are all a little intimidated by the knowledge on this board, so I really appreciate the warm comments and help. It is communities like this that help usher in the new generation of collectors.
Hi Greg
First of all I too would like to extend a warm welcome to you. We all understand the "drinking from a fire hose" analogy. When I first started, around 15 yrs ago, I couldn't believe every one I met knew all of the ACC#'s and players to each set. It was absolutely overwhelming. Think of it a little bit like starting a new job (only more fun). When you first start you get really tired at first as there is information overload. Then as time goes by, and you learn more about what you are doing, it becomes second nature. The fun thing about this hobby is that you don't ever have to stop learning if you don't want to. There is an infinite amount of things to learn and ways to collect. As you have more time in, you will meet some really awesome people too. I would safely say that over 99% of collectors are good people. I am sure you aren't naive though and any time there is considerable money involved there will be bad people too. This board has a way of ferreting out a lot of them. Lastly, and I think you have already mentioned it, this is a marathon race and not a sprint. Take your time and try to be patient. Good luck, glad to have you here and happy collecting!!