View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Default "Race card played in failure to sell Honus collectible"

Posted By: davidcycleback

The funning thing is that, as most all T206 Wagners are sold in auctions where the seller
is anonymous, the winner rarely has any indication of the race, religous, political views,
sex, sexual orientation orrace of the card's owner. If the bidder is a white Conservative Republican
from Houston, he likely will realize there's a decent chance that the seller is a Liberal
Jewish Democrat from San Francisco who might cast a vote for Hillary. I'm quite sure the
thought doesn't prevent him from placing a bid. I'm confident there are conservative Christian Republicans
who would purchase a Wagner from Marilyn Manson, if Marilyn had one for sale.

The whole concept that people won't buy an authentic T206 Wagner at a fair market price
because of the seller's race is, simply, stupid. To be honest, I'm not convinced
that anyone believes this racism angle. Just because people say something, doesn't
mean they beleive it. This is particularly true as the owners are aware that
the card didn't sell a on eBay before their race was published.
The lack of bidding obviouisly couldn't have had anything to do with race then.

The race issue appears to be nothing more then a red herring from people who can't
find someone to pay hundreds of dollars for their card.

In my opinion, Martin Luther King and his memory deserves better that this. And, if they
look past the $$$ and into their hearts, all parties will agree. I believe that there is
racism and injustice in this world, but I also believe that knowingly falsely claiming
racism for the sake of money is spitting on King's grave. I do not know what the owners
beleive, but if they do not beleive that their card is authentic and they are are knowingly
using false accusations, perhaps they should spend a little more time thinking
about how to get to heaven and a little less time about how to make money.