View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Let's talk baseball and hobby documentaries

Good morning, everybody.

I am sitting here in bed watching HBO's Legends and Legacies series documentary about Ted Williams, which I downloaded from YouTube about a year ago. My efforts to find a physical media copy were fruitless, as it appears that HBO has never released it on DVD. Fortunately, the documentaries they did on Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle were made available for purchase; I bought the set containing all three. The PBS American Masters doc on Ted Williams is for sale, however, and I'll be picking that one up after the first of the year.

My reason for starting this discussion today is twofold. One, I never get tired of learning about the game, or our hobby. Ever. I could spend a whole day watching documentaries (and films) about them. I've probably watched Ken Burns' Baseball, from start to finish, no fewer than ten times.

The 'Stache on hour 17 of his baseball documentary marathon.

Secondly, I'm greatly concerned that YouTube as we know it is going to change forever on December 10th. They've made it public knowledge that their ToS will change, allowing them to delete any videos which do not generate income. I don't want to wait to find out just how drastic their server cleansing spree might be, and find the things I used to watch, and enjoy immensely, will disappear forever. Or, that sources of entertainment and knowledge that I might have enjoyed, had I known of their existence, are now lost to me.

Before this happens, I'd like to ask all of you to recommend any baseball related documentaries that I might have missed, especially those dealing with the late Nineteenth Century to the beginning of World War II. I'll look at, and appreciate anything going all the way up to the 1970s and '80s, but the pre-war era is where my greatest interest lies. And, if there are documentaries about our hobby that coincide with this period, I want to see those, too. I have a downloaded copy of the Lionel Carter Collection documentary Mastro did. I know there's more out there, but just need some guidance. I purchased the ESPN 30 for 30 short about the Wagner T206. I've got no problem paying for quality.

I'm looking for baseball documentaries like The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg. Understanding the men that have played the game enhances my enjoyment of these features, just as learning more about Lionel Carter, seeing and hearing him speak about his collection, and his passion for the hobby, enhanced my appreciation for the man, and what he built.

So, before these go the way of the Dodo Bird, and YouTube deletes en masse, I'd be indebted to you all if you help me find some videos to enjoy this morning. Thank you.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.