View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Graig Kreindler

Good call on the criteria, Jimmy.

I think I had a bias towards Kauffman because of his many behind-the-plate shots of players, those of Mantle being incredibly exquisite. I just forget that those SI guys were in a totally different kind of league in the collectible world than Emmons, Wingfield and the like - especially since I'm using these photos for my own artistic needs.

As amazing as Leifer, Iooss and his contemporaries are, it's a shame that to the general public, they're the rock stars of sports photography. I guess it makes sense, being that they were given the forum that most people were exposed to. Though, the lesser-knowns that collectors love so much were just as important to the game (both pre and post-war), and certainly, their craft equals that of the big guns. Heck, if it wasn't for the artwork on all of those Bowman and Topps cards of the 1950s, I know I wouldn't even be interested in doing baseball paintings. But that's neither here nor there.

I like to think that now that all of those incredible photographers have passed on, it's up to people like us to continue their legacy. Luckily, this hobby has some great people in it who want nothing more than to do so.

And by the way Jimmy, that Iooss never ceases to amaze me (as I'm sure you know ).