Thread: May pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM
Dave Grob

Default Trunk Drunk

Thanks. One of things I am fascinated with is how long these trunks were used/remained in the team’s inventory. I have one Yankees trunk that I know was used from the early 1930s well into the 1960s (evidenced by shipping label information). Others are a bit more interesting because they are personal team trunks and have a real connection to time and place. Of these I have three:

1937-1938 Brooklyn Dodgers Team Trainer Trunk. (Edward Froelich) One of the first “team trainers” to actually have studied the field of sports medicine if you will.

1934-1937 New York Yankees Team Physician Trunk for Medical Supplies & Equipment. (Dr. E.A. Spies) I can’t help but wonder if Dr. Spies gave Ruth his last Yankee’s physical, given DiMaggio his first Yankee’s physical, and also treated Gehrig in some manner at the close of his career.

Late 1940s/Early 1950s Cleveland Indians Traveling Secretary Trunk. (Spud Goldstein) This one is interesting as there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that Goldstein may have initially transported Larry Doby’s uniforms to prevent them from being vandalized.

All of them harken back to a time of train travel and Pullman cars.

Dave Grob