View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Honestly, I've never understood the attraction to this set. I think they are by far the ugliest post war cards ever produced. I would love to hear why so many collectors love this set. I am not judging or belittling anyone, I really have always wondered why so many revere this set like they do (and I mean from the visual aspect, not the player content, that I do understand). I can totally understand Ted's reasoning as it's part of his childhood and I respect that.
In many cases it is an acquired taste. When I first got back into collecting ('98-'00), these didn't do much for me. However, over time I came to appreciate the appeal and relative beauty of these cards. Many are off register, so finding an example that's in good shape and registered can be tough, but they look so much better when everything lines up.

You also have minor and major color variations throughout the set, adding another nuance to the eye appeal factor. To me, they perfectly represent the time period, and the printing process resembles an Andy Warhol silkscreen to me.