View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Although not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, my choice would be the 1957 Topps. For me there are several reasons:

1st - It has early golden age of ball team names (NY Giants & Brooklyn Dodgers) before being relocated to California.

2nd - First year of the now standard size baseball card

3rd - Has a good assortment of hall of famers.

4th - Not too terribly expensive to assemble.

5th - That was the year the Milwaukee Braves won their only WS while in Milwaukee.

6th - Warren Spahn, arguably the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time won his only Cy Young award at the tender age of 36.

I too grew up and still to this day a huge Braves fan.

Good luck on your endeavor and have fun with whatever set you select.

r/
Frank

It looks like you might have already made up your mind with that nice 1957 Mantle.
I have been considering the '57 set for all those reasons. I didn't buy the '57 Mantle with the plan of assembling a set...but the fact that I have it already does help. I also really like the fact that there is a Ted Williams in this set. Honestly, the only things that the '57 has against it IMHO are the following 3 things: unaesthetic design, no Roger Maris (off by 1 year) and I don't care for the Hank Aaron error (a real shame in my eyes). To be honest, before I posted this thread it was the set I was leaning more towards.

I was thinking about the 1962 Topps set too...but when I was doing some research I found that many players seem to have multiple varieties for each card...including multiple photos. I was thinking that a "numbers" set would be a reasonable but a true "complete" set would be a whole different challenge. I also don't think the design is "attractive" but it does have a certain 1960s feel. I also like the Babe Ruth series in the set...but then again, there are varieties within that series. I also don't care that they only included a players 1961 stats on the back.