View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Ok, gentlemen, let's see two cards that have recently tickled your fancy

Ok, boys (and ladies, too). The weekend is here. Work, for the most part, can wait until Monday morning. So, let's have a little fun.

I want you all to show me two cards that have just recently caught your attention. For some of you more experienced gents who have seen pretty much all the cards from the pre-war period, show me two cards that you've not yet acquired, but have recently decided to pursue for your own collection. They don't have to be the most expensive cards out there. Baseball cards speak to each of us in different ways. We find things aesthetically pleasing, we spot cards that grab us when we least expect it. It might be a brilliant color, or perhaps an action shot that's caused you to give a card another once over.

For some of us newer collectors, the pre-war niche is a little like the Americas being explored by Columbus, or Amerigo Vespucci, if you prefer. We've heard of set names, we may have even seen a card or three. But there are still treasures, and future purchases, to be uncovered. Speaking for myself, my focus since joining Net 54 has been the tobacco cards for the most part, at least where the pre-war cards are concerned. Oh, sure, I've dabbled some in the Goudey gum cards, and I will explore them more fully in the near future. But those little tobacco cards were the first ones to really resonate inside. But now I find I am exploring the candy cards, too. There are some real beauties in the Caramel cards.

So, I'll start off with two I have my eye on for sometime next year, and then throughout the weekend, I'll check back in to see what cards are putting an extra skip in everybody's step.

Pictures are, of course, encouraged and appreciated. After all, I will no doubt be seeing some cards I will own in the future for the first time today.

My first selection is the 1909-11 E90-1 American Caramel Willie Keeler portrait. I first saw this card about two months ago when I began looking into the Cy Young that Leon used on one of our recent forum tees. I saw this card, and just fell in love with it right away. It is a simple portrait with a clean, pink background. I like everything about it, including how the picture is cropped, leaving the top third of the card itself completely devoid of content. I like the typography, and I like the photo selected. It is a dignified portrait of a truly marvelous batsman.

The other card I've selected is the Rube Waddell T206 portrait. The rich, blue background is soothing, and, again, I love the photograph employed. I love the T206 portraits, and this one has become one of my favorite subjects in the set. Fortunately, it's not a terribly expensive card. I will be able to get a really nice example without needing to harvest an internal organ to pay for it!

Ok, everybody, let's see your selections!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.