Thread: Teletrade
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Teletrade

Posted By: Jim/jverri01

I'm kind of in the middle on this. I used to buy quite a bit through them. For a while, I was getting great deals. Probably because so many people were turned off by them, I was getting everything I wanted at great prices. Then alot of people started going back. About the same time, they seemed to have less and less "true vintage" merchandise. To me, "true vintage" is pre-war, and even more preferably, 1915 and earlier. They have consistently had a dozen or so graded tobacco cards each auction, but the number of ungraded cards has diminished considerably. Given a preference, I always look to buy ungraded cards. Always. Anyway - Andy Sandler, who was overseeing buying, left a few months ago. I don't know that he has formally been replaced, not sure. And - I am certainly not saying the fluctuations are in any way related to him being there or not being there. I tend to subscribe to the philosophy that there are just too many big players out there now that try to carry a big, yet fresh, inventory. It makes it harder and harder for them to get the cards - and harder and harder for us to find any deals. I do have to say that the few things i have returned (because of trimming, completely out of synch grading, etc.) have been accepted back without any question. They always relist these items, tho. And, usually do not revise the listing in any way from the original. I still bid at Teletrade - but much less frequently. Two years ago, there were auctions I would spend $5,000 or $6,00 on. Now, I may win one item here and there. I do have to say that "getting" the PSA 8 Crawford UZIT did seem to "bring back" a scattering of "old" clientele. (BTW: The card seemed to go awfully cheap to me. Is it just me who thinks this?). I also think there new initiative to periodically advertise in the SMR monthly with regard to upcoming auctions was a good move. Just my two-pence. Jim