View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Jim Mac

Default Caddy to the stars

As a kid I made my spending money each summer as a caddie at the Hillview Counrty Club in No.Reading Ma. From 1956 thru 1963 I caddied 5-7 times per week and was priviledged to caddie for many sports celeb's and hollywood people. Celtic legend Bill Russell lived in Reading Ma. and often played at Hillview C.C. but always as a guest. Over the 8-9 years there (5 as an "A" caddie) I carried the bags of Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Tom Hienson, Frank Ramsey and a very funny and generous Satch Saunders. No, I didn't get any autographs from these stars as all that most caddies wanted was a good "Tip" ontop of the $2.50 rate for 18 holes. Good tips from Celtic players were around $2.00 and you could only carry one bag basicly because the bags were enormous. Filled with oversized clubs, a box of cigars and even cooler packs for the beer to stay cold. I weighed about 90 lbs and the bags would weigh about 60lbs. Made for a long 4 hours in the sun. Also caddied for James Garner of Maverick fame. He was a very good golfer and would play close to par golf. Friendly and a very good tipper. Caddied twice for George Raft the old ganster movie star and he would drive into the parking lot at Hillview in a chauffer driven Lincoln Limo. Very impressive for all us caddies to see. Always a fight to see who got to caddie for each of these celebs. My favorite of all was Bill Sharman of the Celts, he was always ready to buy the caddies a lunch after the first nine holes. That was huge for a poor kid like me. A dollar went a long way in late 1950's. I feel very fortunate to have been around so many great people. My only regret now is not getting a few sig's but like I said before at that time a $5.00 bill was more important than a Bill R. autograph. Oh did I mention caddeing for Patti Page on Ladies Day? Had some great teen years..