View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I was actually at the game, and what is most interesting is we were sitting a bit into right field facing Buckner's back. So when the ball went through his legs, I saw it happen from behind, an angle that does not exist on any footage. So my memory is unlike anyone else who saw it on television.

And a sidenote about November 22, 1963. All of the people roughly my age remember that schools closed early that afternoon and everyone was sent home. But by pure chance I woke up that morning with a cold and my mother had me stay home. I remember watching TV in the late morning, turning it off to have lunch, and then turned it back on after eating and realized that something was very wrong. The first thing I heard was Governor Connally was shot...I had absolutely no idea who that was. Then a moment later I heard Kennedy was shot, and I knew something terrible had happened.
That's some game to have been at - you probably heard the hugest collective live groan in history.

Regarding Kennedy, the thing I remember clearest was Johnson taking the oath near the airplane. It was pretty weird as a child, to think that we were going to have a new President - kids think of them more like kings who will always be there.