View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 05:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Being as I mainly collect 52 Topps cards, I enjoy reading about the players either through various sites and other articles I come across.

I read this one back some time ago on PSA's site about George Shuba, and since I am a Jackie Robinson fan, it has always stuck with me.

I knew very little about some of the players on the cards my Father gave me over 30 yrs ago, so it is great getting to know them better.

After reading this about George, and if I didn't already have his 52 Topps card, I most certainly would have tried hard to obtain one.

"George Thomas “Shotgun” Shuba (December 13, 1924-) is often remembered for his show of solidarity with Jackie Robinson when the Hall of Fame second baseman of the Montreal Royals hit a home run against the Jersey City Giants. A photo was taken, capturing the moment when Robinson crossed the plate to the welcoming handshake of teammate Shuba. It was referred to as “the first interracial handshake” in professional baseball history. After ten years in the Brooklyn Dodgers system, George made his Major League debut in 1948 playing 63 games and batting .267 with 32 RBI. Shuba spent seven seasons in left and as a pinch hitter with the Dodgers (1948-1950, 1952-1955) and helped the Bums win three National League pennants (1952, 1953, 1955). In 1953, George hit a pinch-hit home run during the Fall Classic against Allie Reynolds and the New York Yankees. H was also a member of the 1955 World Series champion Dodgers – the first MLB title in franchise history. George ”Shotgun” Shuba finished his career with a .259 batting average, 211 hits, 106 runs and 125 RBI in 355 games. Some of Shuba’s exploits as a Major Leaguer can be found in Roger Kahn’s 1972 The Boys of Summer chronicling the Brooklyn Dodgers of the 1950s. He also highlighted his career in the 2007 autobiography My Memories as a Brooklyn Dodger."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George Shuba.jpg (79.2 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by irv; 09-27-2018 at 05:07 PM.