View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Default Garvey or Mattingly??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I must be stupid here because I don't see how in the hell Ted Simmons belongs nor has a resume than Don Mattingly. The ONLY argument for Simmons is longevity. Basically Simmons stats give him about a 3 year advantage over Mattingly, yet it took him 7 more years to get there.

Mattingly had 9 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers, an MVP, a batting title, 2 other top 5 MVP finishes... What Mattingly didn't have was longevity due to a back injury. And he didn't have a World Series Title.

Simmons was a very good catcher. Give him a bump because catcher production isn't typically as high as a 1B.

One can argue whether Mattingly belongs, but those that watched him regularly, know well his value was far greater than the stats showed. His defense was as good as it gets for any 1B ever. But I can't fathom an argument where Ted Simmons is closer to a HOFer than Mattingly.
Gotta think when comparing players that are not in, you have to be at same position... Comparing Mattingly to Simmons, can't do it... Compare Mattingly to Garvey who gets in?