View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
interesting! I don't believe it's his because on the final page (would be a strange place anyway to "sign" one's own book) the name Burdick was crossed out and the name C Bray was blue penciled(?) in - the reason I believe was just to note the change of the publisher to Bray. I could easily be wrong as only my wife is ever right about anything. It just gave me pause.
You are more familiar with this type of thing - imagine you might even have some things written and/or signed by Bray. I actually never looked closely at the content or specifics of the notations that were made so maybe a clue to the puzzle was in there? In any event - looking forward to hearing why you think it's good. Perhaps I gave up too early. Wouldn't be the first time and I hope YOU turn out to be right. Would be a big score in my mind - something I'd value well in excess of the asking price. I have your old 1939 acc and some other things - but paper linked to Bray or Burdick in their own hand or their own notes/acc's would be a pinnacle type of item.
The seller was Walt Corson's, who passed away several years ago, best friend, Dr. James Lowe. Dr. Lowe is around 88 yrs young and is to Postcard collecting what Burdick is to card collecting. They just don't get any more esteemed than Dr. James Lowe....His son is a member here, Jeffrompa, and I am proud to say I have spoken at length with Dr. Lowe a few times. He is what I consider to be one of the "Old Guard". Most likely Dr. Lowe knew Charles Bray and many other old timer collectors.

Here is a blurb-

(Founded 1960 by Walter E. Corson), an International Society for Postcard Collectors and Dealers, directed by Dr. James Lewis Lowe since January 1966. Dr. Lowe and his staff published periodical journal from 1966 to 1993 containing articles about postcards, adverts, and postcard mail auctions. The periodical has been suspended but auctions continue through Ebay with the Ebay identification POST*CARD. A few of the book titles sold by the society are: 1) Back Issues of DELTIOLOGY, 2) Back issues of CLASSIC POSTCARDS, 3) Burdick, PIONEER POSTCARDS, 4) Corson/Lowe, POSTCARD PUBLISHERS' TRADEMARKS, 5) Holt, TILL THE BOYS COME HOME (WW1 postcards), 6) Lowe, LINCOLN POSTCARD CATALOG, 7) Lowe, WALDEN'S POST CARD ENTHUSIAST REVISITED, 8) Lowe, WASHINGTON POSTCARD CATALOG, 9) Lowe/Papell, DETROIT PUBLISHING COMPANY COLLECTORS' GUIDE, and other titles dealing with picture postcard history and collecting.
E-mail: classicpostcards@gmail.com for full information.

Here is the sellers personal copy I got around 10 yrs ago. And you can't really tell from this scan, but the previous owners names and address were neatly drawn over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946acc.jpg (75.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 1946acc2.jpg (77.3 KB, 149 views)