View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM
And.rew C0rs0

I briefly visited a local hobby shop yesterday while waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy next door. It recently opening in a shopping center very close to my house so I wanted to see what they carried. The experience reminded me of this thread and, essentially, embodied all the stated reasons above why these stores struggle to survive.

This was a general hobby store that sold only new cards, no vintage. But I am also fascinated by and respect other hobbies like model railroads so looked around. Only one other person in the store besides me. It was a nice store. Small but clean. I had not intended to buy any cards because I don't really collect new stuff, but out of courtesy I felt like I should buy a few packs rather than leave without spending anything. So I picked up two packs of modern stuff and went to check out.

I got the disdainful look for only buying two packs. If that was it then no biggie. Then I was told "for an order this small it will be cash only." I had not intended to use a card but I was still caught off guard by that. I understand the fees but that is the cost of doing business. There's no cash register. Just one of those ledgers that takes the guy 2 minutes to fill out by hand and then he uses the handheld calculator to tell me it is $5.28. I hand him a $20.

There is disgust on his face that I would try to pay for something so small with a $20 bill. He asks if I have anything smaller or a $1. No I don't. Only twenties and a five. He asks the other customer if he has any change! The other customer pulls out a $1 and gives it to the owner who then gives me $15 in change. Then he thanks the other customer for "helping this guy out" as if I am a peddler looking for hand-outs.

This was at 5:30pm...a full 7 hours after opening and you don't have change for a $20 bill after insisting the customer pay in cash? On top of that, the store was closing at 6! How can you close at 6pm and expect to make money? Is it inconceivable that people might want to go to a store after 6pm to spend the money they make while working during the day?

All this aside, virtually every time I go to a store I get that sense that I am doing something wrong or being watched. I remember the shame I felt as a kid when a store owner would say something dismissive. I loved going but my enduring memories now are of feeling empty after leaving the stores like I was out of my league as a kid. I did not feel welcomed.

Now I am an adult with extra money to spend and two young boys who will be getting into hobbies soon enough. But yet I still feel like these stores find ways to drive us away rather than cultivate the hobby. My anecdote may seem petty but I felt a strong desire to get out of that store and never come back as I left. I love the idea of going to hobby/card stores; generally hate the experience even as an adult.

By the way, the 2014 Topps pack I bought had a vintage insert in it...first one I have ever found in a pack. So there...