View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball View Post
I remember a primarily vintage shop near Orange County, CA back about 10 years ago. It closed down (don't remember when) but it only carried extremely high-end cards and memorabilia. Literally I can only remember things being in the thousands... Since I was only 12 years old I obviously couldn't afford anything. I'm assuming it closed down because it just turned into a museum instead of a card shop. Sadly, I feel most shops are like this.

I have been thinking about our hobby a lot lately. I am in my early 20s and rarely do I find a vintage collector that is my age. Now this makes me think...what is the average age for a vintage baseball card collector? 45-55 years old or so?

I collect cards, because I love baseball. I have yet to sell anything I own, but I know there will come a time when I will. My question is, what is going to happen to the card market when the average 45-55 year old "kicks the bucket"? Will card prices plunge? I know about 2 other people who enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards that are my age. I am finishing up college here at Oklahoma State University and have talked to hundreds of people about the baseball card world. No interest. The last 6 months I have tried to help a man start up a local card shop. Within that 6 month span I did not meet one person my age who collected baseball cards (modern or vintage).

My ultimate question is who will I sell to in 40 or 50 years?
I think Leon did a poll of the average age of collectors on the board, maybe he can pull it up. But, as far as the card prices plunging; I think this is where you have to ask yourself what is the most important thing- how much your cards may be worth in the future, or, how much you enjoy collecting regardless of what happens down the road? I'm sure we all hope our cards will retain at least what we put into them-but, you have to accept the fact that anything can happen. 20 years from now that $1,000.00 card may be worth $100.00,,,,,or that $1,000.00 card may be worth $2,000.00. I just enjoy trying to put together the set because it's thrilling to me, and whatever happens in the future happens. It's a little easier if you don't look at the cards as an investment

As far as the card shops, I've had mixed luck locally. A few years ago, the oldest cards you would see would be '50's cards. Now, they are carrying some pre war cards. I know one of the shop owners told me he has to sell on ebay to stay afloat (this was a few years ago). I would love to see a card shop 100% devoted to pre war cards !!! That would be awesome.

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 04-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.