View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default The Further Decline of Brick & Mortar...

So I am one of those who quit in the early 90's and returned recently to vintage set collecting like many here, and like many here, am quite obsessed with the hobby. No doubt it has changed immensly since 1990, I think I read somewhere there was 10,000 shops in America, where there is now around 200, and most of these are dominated by Magic and stuff I wouldn't use as kinder to start a camp fire...but I digress...

Here in Western Washington we have 3 shops I would consider to having a decent selection of vintage. Not the occaisional 72 In Action Card, but notebooks of commons and a smattering of stars. Looking at The Stache's spreadsheet on another post where he ranks prospects, well, I keep sheets on my set endeavors. I track EVERYTHING, and before I buy ANYTHING, I know exactly what's good and whats bad, by exact percentage and penny. With that said, I will pay a little more for that personal touch, and its fun to have the cards instantly. I also feel good about supporting the locals. I do realize shops have costs; labor, rent, overhead in general, but my percentages are off online retail, and I know shops aren't paying that, so for my figures I calculate their price based on the retail price I can pay online. You could probably double or more the percentage for their profit, but that isn't for me to figure. I hope everyone makes money, I just want to pay market price. For example -

Shop 1 - (No names) In the last 5 years I have been in the shop 3 times, commons are 38% more than average ebay/online prices, semi-stars are 42% higher, and full on HOFers are 82% higher. You could take a picture of his vintage counters, and two years later be assured they are still there. Needless to say I will not darken it's doors. Not only that, the guy is like Comic Book guy on the Simpsons, and his wife who is equally as rude runs the shop most of the time. No Thanks.

Shop 2 - I spend a lot of money here. Shop keep is super nice family guy. Commons are 12% higher, semi-stars are -22% (GREAT DEALS), and star cards are 14% higher. The better part is he is a TOUGH grader and his view of "off grade" starts at 10% of Becket, significantly lower than ebay/online. My percentage sheet has it at -62%. Only problem, they are over an hour away, so I get there when I get there, and he has a huge client list. The shop buys daily, and he turns his inventory just as fast. This of course is a great example of a successful brick and mortar, and I know he sells online as well and has adapted to the hobby. I believe he has been in business since 1988, and don't see him going anywhere. He is such a nice guy in fact, I have spent up to 100% over ebay/online at times just to support him. In return, I have received the opposite in deals where I am shocked. Love it.

Shop 3...and the reason for the post. Great selection of commons (better selection than Shop 2), decent amount of semi-stars, and a relatively poor selection of stars. He has recently moved a mile down the street for a larger shop. Pre-move, commons were 18% higher, and enough to where I enjoyed paying a little extra to support the shop 20 minutes from the house. Semi-stars were 39% more, so only occaisionally, mostly impulse (something I try not to do), and stars are ridiculous, 112% more. I never bought stars there, and the 112% is an average (yes, I take sample notes to track). Some are as high as 260% higher and some don't even register. I don't track graded cards...if I did, it would be laughable here.

SINCE the move, there has been a sharp increase in prices. The last three visits I picked up a few commons and the price went to 38% more, teetering on the edge of support. Yesterday my 8 year old son wanted to get a Russel Wilson Colorado Rocky Bowman card, and it was just me and him for the day (I have 1 son, and 3 daughters, so we have to escape some times! haha) and he loves going to "the card shop". I went through his 64 commons, after my son was able to track down the Wilson to his excitement, and I had what I knew I could get online for $92.50. I was hoping for him to say $125, which was around what I expected based on past dealings and my spreadsheet (shops get real predictable if you track it, I know, I am a nerd). Instead, he comes back with $180. I was shocked, not even close. Not to offend him, and to not create a riff with my son there I shoot back that I can pay $140. Had he took that, it would have been my last transaction, as that is completely out of line, and while I enjoy the experience of coming to a shop, that is too much. He comes back with an offer of $175, and an explanation of how Becket this, and Becket that, and he can get more to those who buy just 1 or 2. I get all that, but he also fails to realize I track his inventory and he has had the same notebook of 64 commons for 5 years, lol. I politely bow out of the negotiation, and explain I don't mind paying more in person than online, but I can't pay literally TWICE as much. I buy the Wilson for $6 (which I can get online for $3.50) and leave. I am not cheap either, far from it, and when I got home I spent exactly $92.50 shipped and got the same cards in better shape. Last year I spent $2,136 at his shop, and I also represent 3 other set collectors who already stopped going there since he moved who spent similar (they use my figures as well). I know I am small potatoes compared to all his Magic customers, BUT, I represent a huge percentage of his vintage base, who he has now sadly alienated.

Cliff notes....it is truly sad as a vintage collector most of my transactions are online. Shop 2 has it figured out, and I guarantee his volume is ten times the other two shops, and I know his clientale is loyal and huge. The other two shops are joked about often when I talk to other local collectors. I just LOVE going into a card shop, I love it. When I was a little kid it was magical. This experience is slowly going away for my son. Looks like I will be taking more trips to Shop 2...and hope it never changes there. The day when 100% of my transactions are online would be a sad day indeed. Sorry about the ramble...yesterday was depressing.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 03-31-2013 at 12:24 PM.