View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Steve

Yes, it drives me nuts. Just as bad as trimming is all of the bleaching that goes on...it seems like people are only concerned about trim jobs while loads of T206 cards glow in the dark. The bleaching isn't just a problem for the T206 crowd...there are plenty of cards from other sets that have been swimming in chemicals and undergone surgery, and I can't stand it. These cards inevitably end up in auctions as miraculous examples, but seriously, were the borders really that white when the cards were in the smokers' hands 100 years ago?

I'm about 40-45% done with my T206 set, but I've put it on hold while I figure out how to proceed...I was going for a nice set in the psa/sgc 5 and 6 range, but I'm too tired of sitting there nit picking over scans searching for clues about the knives and chemicals. It's especially difficult when you can't trust TPG to look for either of them.

The adverse selection with respect to buying online is pretty bad as well. A weak scan of a card in a 5 or 6 equivalent holder? You're likely to end up with an overgraded or altered card...the weak scan or photo is just to cover that up. My problem is going to shows, I can actually see the cards and inspect them (although using a small handheld blacklight is still tough) but then you have to deal with haggling over inflated show prices.

Sorry for getting off topic a little, but the short answer is yes, it's irritating. Putting together the set was a dream in my childhood, and now I finally have the time and resources...but I need to find a more peaceful way of collecting it. that just means slowing down and becoming more selective. I also enjoy collecting cards where the condition isn't as big of a deal as the actual card example itself...

Have a good one,
Steve