View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Tom Hansen

I bought my Joe Pepitone pin at Wrigley Field in 1971--I can't recall whether it was inside the ballpark or at a stand outside the park, but i DO recall purchasing it from a concessions stand after a game. That's what got me started on this damn thing in the first place.
About the backgrounds--it's highly unlikely that the backgrounds were retouched to alter the colors. The "technology" was too limited back then, and given the odd nature of this product i doubt the creator would have invested the time and effort to alter the backgrounds via composite or retouching. I do think they were shot against a colored background (a "sweep" in photo terms).
i've always wondered if the photographer got players as they came through his town, shot in a studio setting with multiple backdrop sweeps available (that's standard for commercial photo studios--they typically have dozens on hand), but everyone seems to be shot in their "home" jerseys, and it's unlikely that teams would have brought home uniforms with them on the road.
The Pepitone pin shows him wearing road pants and home jersey. Maybe these were shot during spring training (very likely) in either FLA or AZ . . . or both