View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
N.ate A.dams

I was in high school when it happened, and remember it vividly...

I remember my dad turning to my brother and I, saying, in an earnest and almost comforting manner "You know that they're going to lose, right?" I suppose I should also mention that he said this the pitch before Castillo's foul ball. As I was saying "Oh come on! I can't believe the Cubs are going to go to the World Series!" with a smile on my face, the Bartman incident was just about to commence. After, I just looked over to my dad and noticed a look of serenity as to communicate that 40 years of being a Cubs fan had prepared him for this seemingly unpredictable moment.

The real issue was Gonzalez's boot. I feel awful for Bartman, and for the 3 chairs/1 controller I annihilated.

Oh, and one problem I've always had is the "any other fan would have done the same thing". I have been to countless baseball games, and have never lunged at any foul ball, never reached for one, I simply stay there completely focused on the game. I don't care about catching a foul ball. I can say with full certainty that I would have been pushing people away from the ball. That having been said, I still do not fault Bartman. I simply chalk it up to the fact that the Cubss will never win the World Series. The means by which they do not win are irrelevant. People are different, personalities are different.

Had I been there, I, and I know many of you would have as well, would have been standing up for him, and would not have taken part in what soon became a lynch-mob. Absolutely pathetic, seeing those animals throw beer on the guy, actually detailing how Bartman should have been killed. If you watched the show, did you hear the guy that said "Put a 12 gauge in his mouth and pull the trigger!" ????????????????? Who are these people?

Anyways, it was a great documentary!