View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStufflestreet View Post
It's all about perception, my friend.

When you see a smiley, it's all about a sense of humor, my friend.
---------------------------

In my case...Desert Storm was a war I was involved in (I was in the Army then) so it's actually a logical point of demarcation for me.

In my case ... I was with the Marines in Korea during 1952-53, and not as a student of history ... so should I be saying that pre war is pre Korean War?
--------------------------

That said...I don't intend to post here about '86 Topps anytime soon. And as a student of history...there was no WW2 until 1941. Before Pearl Harbor, there were two large-scale conflicts going on: one that encompassed Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East and another between China and Japan. Once the U.S. was brought into the conflict, the war became global.

No WWII until 1941? ... Who invaded Poland in 1939? Large scale conflicts? ... that's what they called the Korean War, the Korean Conflict, only 54000 were killed in that conflict, in less then 3 years.
---------------------------

In the case of our British allies, they definitely began a war against Germany and Italy in 1939 but really weren't counting the Japanese as a belligerent party until they took sides with the U.S. Not that it was a hard decision for them, as the Japanese were beginning to threaten British territory from India to Australia and likely needed the excuse to expand their way as well as into U.S. possessions like the Philippines, Guam and Midway.

The British definitely began the war against Germany???

Damn, all these years I've been under the impression that it was the Germans that invaded Poland on Sept 1st 1939 without a declaration of war.
That it was the Germans that flew the Stuka dive bombers.
That it was a German Blitzkreig.
The Munich Pact.
The Sudetenland.
Peace in our time!

----------------------------

But I'm sure we're splitting hairs here. In the baseball card hobby, the fact that sets stopped almost cold after 1941 makes the distinction easy for us.
Splitting what hairs?
Your facts are 90 % correct!
14 % 0f the time.