View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
You had to be a Mets fan in the 80's and watch 100+ games a year to appreciate Keith Hernandez. Nobody ever, before or since, could play first base the way he did. About 5 years ago I actually saw him on the subway and told him he was the best first baseman I ever saw. He smiled and profusely thanked me.
I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.
Finally, somebody who understands why I am so pro Keith Hernandez being in the Hall of Fame. He transformed the position. He was absolutely spectacular with a glove on.

We can draw comparisons between John Olerud and Keith Hernandez until we're blue in the face. But Olerud played at a time when offenses in general were much more productive than when Hernandez played. Don't believe me?

Major League Baseball offensive averages year by year

Keith Hernandez played from 1974 to 1990. John Olerud played from 1989 to 2005.

During Hernandez' career, the average runs per game ran between 4-4.50. During Olerud's career, that jumped up to about 4.50 to 5.0 +. It was a hitter's era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Even more amazing is that they needed a miracle in game 6 of the NLCS to even get to the World Series (does anybody REALLY think they were beating Mike Scott in game 7? I think not.) and a whole lot of luck in games 6 & 7 of the World Series to win the one title they did get.

But, yeah, really that group should have won at least one more. Same way I feel about the Tigers teams of the 80s.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
He is undoubtedly the best defensive 1B I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing player.

Question: If you could draft any 1B from the last 50 years, is he your #1 pick?
I don't know if he would be #1. When everything is considered, he's awfully close. He didn't bring the power. But he could do everything else.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

Look at some of the things he did with the glove especially.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.