Thread: O/t - Safes
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Jason B.

I'll just chip in again with my own discussions I had with a local security company this past year. As my prior comment read, if your primary goal is to reduce the chances of a successful burglary, then it's all about Steel thickness (gauge).
And it's the Steel gauge in 2 areas -- the Steel Plate in Door, and then also the Body of the Safe. (The Door Plate protects from bending attacks with crowbar/prybar, and the Body of the safe protects from cutting (blade and torch) attacks.)

It's probably most important to figure out what your own needs are. If it's just to discourage folks with sticky fingers then super basic is fine. If you've got a collection where the world won't end if it disappears, then a safe around $1,000 with the most steel you can buy might be ok.

If someone has a collection in the 6-figures though, boy I'd be investing in a serious safe if you're intending to keep it at home, meaning 10-gauge (lower number is better) thickness or better for the safe body and a 1/4" plate steel door plate. That's my only beef against Liberty, is that they are a little light on steel except for their one very top end model (The Presidential) which is a beast. Otherwise their safes top out at 12 or 11-gauge steel.

I would throw another company out there for folks to consider -- Fort Knox. www.ftknox.com
Top reputation in the industry, solid value, and at a slightly higher price point (2.5 - 4K for a sizeable safe), but they do not skimp on the materials. Highly customizable as well.

All points made by other folks are awesome as well, including layering your security and keeping your trap shut
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 01-01-2018 at 09:09 PM.