View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 09:41 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Overall I think early GAI cards are fine in regards to counterfeits and alterations. Baker knew how to spot counterfeits and alterations. The only caveat would be how "his" type of grading standards holds up today. He, like PSA and SGC have different ares of focus. I know baker wasn't as harsh on surface wrinkles. He once told be personally if he couldn't see it with his naked eye it didn't concern him as much. SGC is tougher on surface wrinkles and back damage. Whereas PSA is tougher on corners.

Also, I would wager that most cards still left in GAI holders have been attempted at a cross over to PSA/SGC but have failed. Not because they are badly graded, but because of a difference in standards.

Early on I got caught up in the GAI hype and had a bunch of PSA cards crossed over. I then had great success at getting those GAI cards into SGC holders at equal grades. One card, a T206 dark cap Matty PSA 5 to GAI 5, would not cross to an SGC 60 due to a small very hard to see surface wrinkle. SGC was harder on surface wrinkles than Baker.

Never tried to cross the GAI cards back to PSA because after hearing the experience of other collectors, I felt PSA HATED GAI and therefore would never cross a GAI card. You'd have to bust the card out and resubmit (Sound familiar?) and didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, my 2 cents of rambling.

Last edited by DeanH3; 09-01-2017 at 09:42 PM.