View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I can't speak for anyone else, but I gently questioned Joe Jackson and his military career when you posted this photo earlier. This is what I wrote:

"I'm not a Shoeless Joe expert by any stretch, but didn't he avoid serving in the war by leaving the White Sox a few weeks into the 1918 season and getting employed at Bethlehem Steel shipyards in Wilmington, Delaware? I recall reading that Comiskey had some very choice words to say about what he felt was Jackson avoiding the draft by playing ball for Bethlehem Steel under the ruse of a war-production job. The Chicago sportswriters really let Jackson have it as well.

Did he join the Army at the tail end of the war? I'm curious what the story is behind the picture. "

You didn't add any answers to the thread and then started another with the same picture. I didn't pursue it further or voice any of my doubts about this picture (let alone say that I don't think it looks anything like Joe Jackson) because most of the threads you start are about these phantom famous players and don't seem to have anything to back them up with. Plus you never seem to take anyone's advice or expertise so I thought that any further reply to your old Joe Jackson military photo thread would be a waste of time. I can only assume others thought the same.

Now that you got the you somehow got the Jackson photo to appear in a legit auction house where misinformed buyers could be tricked - that's why the Net54 community has come down on your picture like a bag of hammers.

Before you were a harmless wishful thinker, now people could lose money if these pictures aren't thoroughly vetted. I hope your pictures do turn out to have the people you say are in them. That would be a great find. But don't post them on Net54 with the expectation of selling them at auction and expect the collectors here to just ok them. This forum has the highest concentration of baseball history and memorabilia minds on the web. Most here are extremely helpful and kind but also diligently protect their hobby.

If any of your pictures do turn out to really feature Fleet Walker or Joe Jackson, the fella's on Net54 would be the first to not only confirm the legitimacy of the photo but supply you with all the background information you need to sell the picture at auction, all for the sheer joy of helping a fellow collector. A Net54 member would probably wind up buying the piece as well.

I replied to your original tread. Others did as well, voicing their doubt. You just chose not to acknowledge us.