View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
I'm biased, but I consider this to be Cobb's rookie...it has an undivided postcard back and it pictures him w/ George Parquette, a jeweler from Augusta, Georgia, in 1905.

On August 25th, 1905 Ty Cobb played his final game in the minor leagues with the hometown Augusta Tourists before joining the Detroit Tigers. Play was stopped so fans could present the young, but already dominant, Cobb with a floral bouquet and a gold wrist watch. To show their support, local fans actually took up donations to raise the money for the watch which was purchased from Parquette Jewelry Store in Augusta, Georgia. The shop’s owner, George Parquette was an avid sports fan and took this opportunity to meet and have his photo taken with the young local sports celebrity, Cobb. This postcard originally came from the estate of a relative of the Parquette family.

Just when I thought I'd seen it all Derek. That is an amazing item!