View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Jamie,
I believe that Sockalexis has a Notre Dame Connection. I remember reading in a book called Notre Dame Baseball Greats, that Sockalexis followed his good friend and mentor, Michael Powers from Holy Cross to Notre Dame to play baseball. Supposedly he had great spring workouts and was to be the star of their 1897 season. Unfortunatly, he never played a varsity game because he and another student were sent packing from the university for disorderly conduct and drunkeness.

OH, I just found my book and it has about 4 pages on Sockalexis. The book is by a gentleman by the name of Cappy Gagnon. The South Bend Tribune of March 18, 1897 has the article where Sockalexis is mentioned as being "released" for his conduct from Notre Dame. Wouldn't it be cool to find a copy of that paper!

It is a really great book, even if you aren't a Notre Dame Fan. It has much information about major leaguers who are connected to the university's baseball program such as the "Father of Notre Dame Baseball" Cap Anson.

It also states that Sockalexis wasn't the only tragic figure from the 1897 team. John Henry Shillington was the shortstop for the team until he was expelled for missing curfew. He joined the Navy instead and was on the USS MAINE when it exploded in Havana in 1898.

Good luck with your search. I forget which auction house I saw the Cameo Pepsin pin of Sockalexis, but it was a beauty!

Great to be talking and reading about baseball on the board!
Tim Kindler