View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default Which So-Called Rarities are Overrated?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Bruce:

I argree with you guys about higher-grade GCMs being scarce, but given the nature of the cards, that makes sense. The cards were usually cancelled by chopping off a slice of the card, or poking holes through them, rendering it very difficult to find an example graded above a 6.

In my post, I was not referring to condition scarcity, but to scarcity in general. However, if I were to choose the toughest 1930s issue to find in high grade, it still would not be the GCMs. Instead I would choose a set like the 1933 R308 Tattoo Orbits. These are nearly impossible to find in EX condition, largely because A) there haven't been a ton graded, and B) they were "self-developing" cards that required the owner to spit on them - or otherwise wet them - in order to produce the photo. Doing so generally produced a stain that would make it nearly impossible to find a high-grade card today.

But the cards themselves aren't as scarce as they're cracked up to be. Same with GCMs, in my opinion.

For a set that is supposed to be super scarce, it seems to me that there are a couple GCMs in every major auction and a few on eBay every couple of weeks. There are four listed in eBay stores right now.

Contrast that with R308 Butter Creams, Uncle Jacks Candys, Demaree Die Cuts, or even high-grade Diamond Star high #s. All of those seem tougher to me than the GCMs, but the GCMs are usually considered the most scarce 1930s issue. I just don't buy it.

-Al