View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Bill Gregory

Congratulations, Matt!

Two of my favorite cards from the decade of the 70s, from two of my all-time favorite players, are in this set. You just picked up one, and the Robin Yount is, of course, the other. I hope you don't mind if I share my Yount in your thread. It just seems right having him here. Brett and Robin were so much alike, it's frightening.

Consider this. George Brett and Robin Yount were rookies at the same time in 1974 (Brett got 40 ABs in 1973, but '74 was his rookie season). Both played their entire careers for small market teams. Brett and Yount both started out as shortstops, and moved to other positions, Brett to third, and Yount to center field. Both won one Gold Glove. They got their 3,000th hit 3 weeks apart (Yount on September 9th, 1992, and George Brett on September 30th, 1992) and both retired in 1993. Finally, both went into the Hall of Fame together in 1999. If you ask any baseball fan to name the player they first think of when mentioning the Brewers and Royals, it's Yount and Brett, hands down.

Brett and Yount combined for 3 American League MVP Awards, 3,215 runs, 6,296 hits, 1,248 doubles, 263 triples, 568 home runs, 3,002 RBI and 472 stolen bases. They played an amazing 5,563 games, and tallied 23,874 plate appearances.

I can't wait to see your Brett. I could go looking for it, but I want to see it here. And I know when you do, I'm going to go looking for a Yount graded. The one I have is really nice, but there's two very minor imperfections that keep me from sending it in for grading. The first is the printing flaw in the "s" in Brewers. The second one really kills me. There's the tiniest little imperfection in the upper right corner. It's as if somebody touched the very tip of a thumb tack to it, applied a very tiny amount of pressure, then pulled it back. But that's all it takes to drop this from an 8 to a 7. Too bad, because the edges are really clean, the centering is good, and the corners are sharp. And the rest of the surface is flawless.

I'll probably go in for an 8.5. A 9 will have to wait for a while.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.