Old 12-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'll go out on a limb here.

3 versions to make it easy

Partial red or no red with red "pixels" missing under loupe- cream

No red, no missing "pixels"-cream

No red, no missing "pixels"-gray
I am chiming in rather late here but I generally agree with Ted's position.

I have been looking at the mid-series print run for quite a while and I believe numerous cards were printed and slightly re-positioned on the sheet in successive stages. This led to the pattern noticed above.

My feeling is that there were several print runs for each series in the set. Some series in the set had the master sheets re-done to correct for various printing issues. I believe Topps had a timing issue with the mid-series cards and quickly produced this series. This led to a high proportion of miscuts as the spacing between a number of cards was consistently "off". Just a guess here as I stopped tracking this a while ago, but most of the miscuts in this set come from this series.

You can also see from the quarter panels (100 card series was printed in 4 - 50 card panels in an A & B sheet) card fronts/backs and spacing between cards are not consistent. However, you can tell somewhere along the line adjustments were made as the black borders rimming the pictures are different.

I believe the borders are different because the cards were "re-positioned" to make the spacing between cards more consistent to cut down on the miscut cards. I suspect, they cleaned up the borders of several cards at the same time. The most noticeable border change occurred in the #307 Campos card which has several variations.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 12-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.