View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 12:01 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I have not seen any advertising that would show these came from Mendelsohn directly, or from any advertiser for that matter. There is a blotter with Ferguson bakery advertising that has served as the basis used by many to conclude the pennants came from there, and an old thread or two discussed the topic. I don’t believe the pennants shown on the blotter–and also a pillow topper that uses them- prove anything with regard to BF2, because they use the D381-style photos. In fact, I would argue that Ferguson Bakery would not have issued their 100 or so D381 cards in 1916 and then a completely different set of 100 or so BF2 pennants in the same year.

One minor correction, Bob– these use images from m101-4, not m101-5, and from an early printing at that, given the inclusion of the Stanage portrait to waist photo. FWIW, the source photo for the Cobb pennant has always mystified me.
Todd,

Thanks for the correction. I remember the M101-5 cards were actually issued before the M101-4 cards, and seem to always end up thinking of them first. LOL These sets have always intrigued me somewhat because they can be so confusing and misunderstood by many. I am by no means an expert on them or the various other distributors using the same images. Have always loved he BF2 pennants though, especially because they are so different and unique as a baseball collectible. And never really thought much before about how many of the BF2 pennants use the same Felix Mendelsohn images from their M101-4 cards.

And even if the images came from Felix Mendelsohn, it isn't necessarily the case that the Felix Mendelsohn company actually produced the BF2 pennants, is it? Could it be that whoever did create the pennants simply acquired the pictures/images from Felix Mendelsohn, and then attached them themselves to the pennants?