View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Default Joe Morgan

Let me start by saying that for every bad experience I have ever had with meeting sports stars or getting autographs, I have also had many good ones as well! This is just another which seems to stand our in my mind of a bad experience.
At one time, I collected signatures of players who appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I would send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the S.I. if I had an address and sometimes would get them back in the mail. On this occasion, I already had two signatures on the cover (Rose/Perez), so I just sent a letter of inquiry asking if it might be alright if I sent the issue to Joe Morgan. You can see my answer.
I then waited until a sports show near where I live where he was appearing...paid my $22.00 fee and stayed until I was the last person in line not wanting to attract any extra attention...Once he signed the mag, I put this note in front of him and asked what the problem was...didn't think he wanted me sending anything to his work place at ESPN so just wanted clarification......I think he was caught off guard as he said something to the effect that his fan mail once had gotten mixed with his house payment and other bills and it really messed him up. Wow....a house payment for Joe Morgan...wonder which house?? I believed that story.

Another example...when the camera is on....the person appears as a really nice guy...but behind the scenes...a total jerk....I also heard he was not too happy when Ryne Sandberg was elected to the Hall and did someone vote not to put Santo in recently as well??? 15-1 or something....gee....could the 1 have been??
This sounds alot like Lee Trevino as well....total jerk but then there is Arnold Palmer as well---a really class act or in todays world...Tiger and Phil..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morgan.jpg (77.2 KB, 270 views)