View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
All due respect as it seems you’re trying to add value, but the tone of these posts is grating to me. Seems you’re challenging Ted and putting onus on he and others to prove your theory by posting high resolution scans. Guys like Ted have freely provided input from their research for years, and I think that work is universally appreciated.

I have a headache from reading, trying to interpret the recent posts, but still don’t see clear proof the rounded corner cards sold on eBay actually came from those boxes. Boxes, like cigarette packs (often displayed here) can be re-packaged with cards for display, and sold. Perhaps that happened here.
Ted has done an exceptional effort to raise the issues of Bond Bread set and its look-alikes and has contributed much elsewhere to the understanding of obscure cards. His completion of the T206 set with Carolina Brights (correction added) backs is a task none even contemplated could be done. We are all thankful for his efforts.

My concern is that several major auction houses (not eBay) have offered auctions lots over the years which they titled as Bond Bread cards, but both in the pictures they provided and in the text indicated the cards came from Sport Star Subjects boxes. Even today, you can't find the Sport Star Subjects set (square of rounded corners) mentioned in a catalog. OldCardboard doesn't but says for the Bond Bread insert set that it exists with both square and rounded corners, and to compound the matter says that cards with many square and rounded corners exist in high grade. Wouldn't it be nice to know what they are talking about?

My quires to Ted are not to challenge him, but to begin a real effort based on objective fact to tell Bond Bread insert cards apart from the cards in the Sport Star Subjects set.

I'm sorry if it seems like I am being overly critical of Ted. I am not. Without a clear picture of what is a Bond Bread insert and what came from a Sport Star Subjects set, many have been misled and will continue to be misled into believing what they have is not actually what they have. I think that dispelling such belief is part of the intent of this thread.

I hope this does not give more of a headache, but the issue has to be resolved.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 06-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.