View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Several states have to pay taxes with Heritage, including Illinois where I live. I had to add an additional 10.5% sales tax, which is fine as I was fully aware of it going into the auction.

My question is: Why isn't that shown in the final sell price? If a guy pays $100K for an item, then they show the buyer's premium but not the additional tax (if there is one), why wouldn't this be reflected in the final sale price? On a final sale of $100K, that's an additional $10,500 (if you're in Chicago).
I could see it going either way. The posted sale price I think is meant to reveal not only how much the winning bidder was willing to pay but also (more precisely and at least as importantly) how much the underbidder was willing to pay. The differential sales tax rates then complicate things enough that it's probably better for them not to include it unless/until the day when all bidders have the same required sales tax rate. Still, I can empathize with you as another of their buyers who's had to pay sales tax with them in recent years and has later wanted to sell some of the cards I bought from them.