View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Trivia Question Thread

Posted By: J Levine

Barry,

Sort of odd that such a massive star in Detroit as Bennett did not have a Detroit card.

One of my HOF moments in collecting came around because of Charlie Bennet.

As people know...I collect Phillies. As a result, I also collect the Ruby Legs who, in a very roundabout and convuluted way, became the Phillies. Bennett played for the Ruby Legs.

About 10 years ago, I stopped into the HOF for one of the inductions(Winfield, et. al.) and was wandering around the museum. One of the display pieces showed a very nice pocket watch and credited it with belonging to Kid Nichols. If I recall the watch face was inscribed with Bennett's name. I asked a docent if the watch was Nichols or Bennetts...off to the archives I went. With a bit of talking and begging, I found my way into the basement we finally found the donation record. The watch was indeed Nichols' watch...Apparently Charlie Bennett gave Kid the watch. Nichols kept it and used it as his own. The donor thought that the watch was given to Bennett for some accomplishment in Detroit or Boston after his playing career. BTW, Bennett and Nichols played together for Boston.

Joshua