View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default What do consignors want from an auction house?

Posted By: leon

Good points. I too think a 10% commission on the buyers side is a little unrealistic. Heck, even back in the day it was often 15% or more, though the items might have sold for a buck or two. As for a catalog I think it probably helps on the price on bigger items. I know when I get a catalog and I can see a picture, and read through the book, it might make me bid a little more on something I want. I am sure I am not alone at looking at catalogs while watching TV, checking out the library , or conversating with the family. The few times I have consigned things have gone pretty good and I was involved with the process. For a consignor the bottom line is "what venue, company, etc...can realize (for me) the highest price on my item?". BTW, I also think interaction with the hobby is important. I know I gave Mastro a 10k piece to auction, a year or two ago, as they had put out the effort of being at the National and were part of the hootin' and hollerin'. To me that counts a bit too..People will generally want to do business with people they know and like..... regards