View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Default The 1930 ruth goudey calendar makes another appearance!!

Posted By: cmoking

David, you're making a good case why this would be a bad business decision. But other than that, how does anyone know these are real, fake, printed in 1975, 1950 or 2008? It went for $200ish, could be $200 down the drain, but there were people who were interested (or fooled depending on how you look at it). Additionally, if they were fake or created to fool someone, how much did the creator get out of it based on the time/effort it would take to make it? Throwing out the morality of frauding the collecting public for a sec - was it a good business decision to spend the time to concoct a scheme and produce an unknown calendar? Add in the risk of the originator getting caught and being a pariah in the hobby or worse yet caught by the authorities on some charge. Maybe the Verkman one was since that seemed to go for decent money...but what about this one? Maybe that's a poor decision too...but if it is a fake, it didn't stop someone from trying a poor business decision. In short, a probable poor business decision alone is not grounds to throw out the legitimacy of this card/calendar.

I don't remember the finalization of the "Verkman calendar" thread clearly. Were there any obvious signs it was a fake or was it a case of "it doesn't look right, no one knows anything about it, highly likely to be not what the auction describes it to be"? If that's the case, I have no problem with that, none at all. But now we've seen two similar ones, but slightly different. What's the story now? If these are fake, shouldn't we see more? And if there are more fakes out there, how does one go about definitively saying when it was printed and/or why its a fake...and additionally, a fake of what? Heck, even if they are real (from the 60s or whenever), shouldn't we see more too?

I was tempted to bid on it to win just to get it in my hands to show people to get their opinions. But I wasn't willing to part with $200 for curiosity alone. I also think there's a chance we'll see another one show up again.

Adding: Please note that I am not arguing it is legit. I am simply asking questions. If I really thought it was legit, I would definitely be the winning bidder, but I wasn't.