View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 01:41 PM
David McDonald

Hi Bryan-
Victoria baseball ephemera seems to be very scarce. I live here and I've looked but have rarely seen anything aside from 1911 Obaks. The local team played as the Bees for five seasons (1911-1915) in the Northwestern League. Portland had a team in the league in the 1911 through 1914 seasons. They're the only team whose city name started with a "P" which you can see on some of the uniforms so my assumption is that they are the the players in pinstripes. Might they be the home team? Their uniforms are white; the Bees uniforms are grey. The Bees, to the best of my knowledge, played in those years at Royal Athletic Park just north of downtown Victoria. [I'm not 100% certain. A few years ago I was researching the team via the Victoria Times-Colonist archives (hi, Bruce) and learned that for a period of time there was a leasing problem and they may have played elsewhere]. In any event I have never seen an image of any sort of the ballpark from those days so can't compare the fence or line of houses with anything. The park is still extant (hello again, Bruce) but in a different configuration today as a multi-use facility. I have attached a Google Map view to give you an idea of what is there now. Some of the faces look to be identifiable but no one is popping out at me. It would be interesting to see what some of the billboards say if you're able to crank up the resolution. I am also wondering what exactly the guy with the satchel is holding in his hand. Have also included a team postcard of the 1914 Bees (that's rookie Highpockets Kelly standing tall in the back row if you're keeping score) and a small snapshot of a Vic player with a bee on his sleeve - don't know the year. Maybe Mr Eskenazi can weigh in with some expertise. He knows a thing or two about west coast deadball.

PS Thanks and a tip of the Kawika hat for the heads-up on the Metro Studios set. I was able to win it and another dragon has been slain.