Thread: Holy Grail?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Holy Grail?

Posted By: JimB

What effect does the quantity available of a potential Holy Grail card have on its candidacy? The Wagner seems perfectly situated because it is rare, but not impossible. Anybody with enough money can get one. A couple of recent auctions aside, the Doyle variation is virtually impossible. With only five or six known, it really can't be gotten by most people even if they wanted one. I wonder if the Cobb/Cobb back actually increased in desirability when Rob Lifson found five, bringing the then total to 11 or 12 (now I believe 13) known. It is a bit more possible. They are not offered with nearly the frequency of a Wagner or Plank, but every few years one is made available.
Is the Baltimore News Ruth too rare?
Any guesses on how many 14 CJ Mattys there are? Are there any theories on why it seems to be harder to find than other1914 CJs?

Though I don't think it will change any time soon if ever, I think the Cobb back has the best shot at being the Holy Grail - Best Player, Most Popular Pre-WWI set, rare but not utterly impossible.

My gut says that the Wagner will always be the Holy Grail. Hal, you really should get one. They are also more attractive than your other Wagner.
JimB