View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default The grading of pins

Posted By: Al Simeone

I consider myself to be a serious pin collector and even as cards go I have never felt the need to have any of my pins graded. I have never felt the need to have a 3rd party come in and tell me that the pin I have is a 1 or a 10. I also believe in these grading companies that there arenot even a hand full of individuals that are even remotely qualified to grade pins.These items are in so much less quantity out there that in many cases the amount of a perticular pin may only be 5-10 items at best for that given pin. Paul and I have talked about this subject at great length which is the cost of a pin. I.E. will grade determine the price of the pin? Will a price guide determine the cost of a pin? I believe in most cases no. Many of us who have bought pins or looked for pins know if a pin comes on to the market and it is (lets say) one you have looked for for a long time to finish a set or team run or for what ever reason its wanted, the price of the pin IMO willnot be determined by a grade. It will be determined by need. Many of us know we may not see another pin of that perticular set surface again for maybe years. Or never again for that matter. In pins I believe the price will always be set by the old method supply and demand not by grade.