View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Al

As a little of a follow up on the Willie Mays Pin it did take ebay to get involved in the refund as the seller after a number of emails just never replied to the refund payment. When ebay contacted me about the pin I did have to state that it was a (Fake) or reproduction made from the original. These pins are being reproduced by a person on ebay going by PINZPLUS. To his credit he does sell them as stated reproductions but it people who are now taking them and trying to pawn them off as originals. Now the original is a 2 1/4 inch in size and the one that was bought was 1 3/4 inch in size. Now that would throw up a red flag to most pin collectors but in the world of pin collecting there are different versions coming up once in awhile that do turn out to be the real thing! A case in point Thanks to a board member is this Don Mueller pin. It is 1 3/4 inch in size and with this style pin one would assume that it would be 2 1/4 inch in size. (For the record the Mueller is the real deal) But the Mays 1 3/4 pin was a reproduction. I took a chance just because on the outside chance that it was 1 3/4 inch in size. I can tell you that that mays pin was cheaply made , very thin, had a very small collet edge and really didnt look like it was vintage. Funny thing the age spots seemed to be put on before the pin was covered.. Here is a scan of the real 2 1/4 mays along side of the 1 3/4 mueller..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.