View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Default $50K investment

If I was given $50K to invest, I would not change much in what I am doing now. Except when a good opportunity came around I would pounce on it.

I do agree with several of the collectors who have stated that cards are for collecting not investing. If you truly buy items while looking at it as a total investment, you probably will not last long in the hobby. Copeland comes to mind. If I can remember correctly he amassed his collection within 5 years or so. Prior to the Halper sale that was the biggie as auctions go.

Sets, cards, eras etc all fall in and out of favor with collectors and prices fluctuate accordingly especially with the rare stuff. So buy what you like and don't worry about what is going on around you. When it is all said and done, if you were a good steward with your money you will come out ahead. You might lose on one thing but will do great on another but overall you will come out ahead and have a great ride doing it.

If you are constantly looking at it as an investment, you probably have too much money tied up in your hobby.