View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
Not all BIN's are out of line, but some of them are 3 times or more than what the card has been selling for.
Here's another thought: no one can be certain what 'market value' is. I certainly am not. But one thing I do know: running straight auctions, I will sell at below my costs - if 'market value' is the average of everything, then straight auctions are below market value. This is just common sense. I've proven this every time I've tried running a series of straight auctions (overall, not individual cards). So what do you do? Well, you already know that almost no one is willing to give you your BIN price, unless it's low, so you pop it up high enough to where if you are wrong on the low end, you don't lose much, and if you are wrong on the high end, you're going to get talked down anyway.

I can't think of many cards I've sold too high, but I can give you a huge pile that I sold too low. Fortunately, most were just right.

This is mostly ebay's fault - if they got rid of their 'store' mentality and returned to the old auction days, we'd be back to bitching about shilling, and ebay would be a helluva lot more fun.