View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Al Richter

Wink variants

Different folks define the term variation in different ways, and in my view none are wrong. I like the term variant to describe cards that differ in some respect from each other, whether by design or accident.

I tend to view a variation as a card that was intentionally changed ( 59 trade/option versus not, or 59 Spahn DOBs, or 52 red versus black backs). Sometimes such changes occur from an intentional change in the print process ( 62 greenies ). Sometimes multiple changes are made to get a card right ( 66 Landrum, 69 Popovich, 89 Fleer Ripken)

I collect variants of interest to me, or the hobby in general, and posted some earlier in this thread. I think I have all variations listed for Topps in the Standard Catalog. But I have collected many variants not in the book, including this blue Aaron

But I agree with Doug, who also has one, that it is unintentional printing error, and I view my 58 Herrer , 57 Bakep, 3 different 59 H Sullivans, 4 different 52 Campos cards as similar print defects and not "true" variations.
But they all have historical hobby recognition as variations in the hobby.

With the internet and ebay, it is now clear there are hundreds of such print defects in virtually every major baseball set ...and new ones turn up everyday....many more distinctive and interesting than those above. But they have little or no hobby recognition or interest

Recently George Vrechek has written articles on DP printing /cropping differences in several 1963 and 1956 cards. Such differences in the DP 52 mantle. Robinson and Thompson were listed as variations in the last editions of SCD

I have come to not worry whether they are print defects or variations. They are variants and if they have hobby recognition or are interesting to me, I collect them. But their value is determined by hobby recognition as evidenced by the ridiculous run up in value of the 61 Topps Fairly with the green smudge in the bottom of the baseball on the back after PSA include it as a variation in it;s Registry master list ( But I confess I have one of those too )

If you do a search for Topps Variations or Errors on ebay it is obvious that there are numerous recurring and unreported print/color defects or differences/variants in every Topps set, at least through 1994 when I stopped trying to accumulate any that were not catalogged. The internet and ebay have greatly facilitated both finding and sharing print oddities over what was the case earlier in the hobby

Nice to meet another variations collector Allen

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-06-2013 at 11:36 AM.